Skip to main content

Significant Damage to Home

Several years ago we experienced a water loss (pipe burst) in our home.  I am writing this to help a family member and others that may need to familiarize themselves with events surrounding significant damage to their home.  I am NOT an attorney and I do NOT work in insurance.  I am a homeowner just like you.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.  The experience you are going through is traumatic.  Cry it out.  Hug it out.  I hope that you and your family are doing well.

It's time to get to work.  In my experience, some insurance companies will pay as little as possible and help as little as possible.  You've paid your premiums, know your policy, and get an attorney involved if needed.

You will not be able to stay in your home.  Take pictures.  A remediation company should have been called on your behalf.  Resources will likely be stretched thin.  In the state of Texas, many households have been impacted by the Winter Storm (approximately February 15-19, 2021).  If you are waiting, ask them if you can do something if you have doubts.  

Sheet rock absorbs water and mold may begin to form in the walls.  Remediation companies generally will cut the sheet rock out (not entirely - just where moisture is found) and remove the wet insulation.  A wet vacuum will be used to suction all water from your floors.  They drill holes into kickplates (under cabinetry) and place fans everywhere moisture was found in an effort to dry the area.  Baseboard and crown molding will be removed and set aside in hopes of being salvaged.  

Picture by Zach McNair via kvue.com

If you're waiting for the remediation company, you can purchase a tool that has prongs to insert into the wall and it will detect moisture.  You may want to call AND e-mail your water and electric company to see if they can help adjust costs (I had some success with this, but I had to find the right person to hear my story).  Running those fans uses a lot of wattage because they will run 24/7.  They will also want to run your HVAC system to reduce humidity in the home.

My family and I spent months in a hotel.  Our insurance company was able to get us two bedrooms with a living area and a kichenette.  Be prepared to "move in".  Take EVERYTHING (I tried to avoid that, but I had small children at the time and we had to take extra things).  Keep ALL of your receipts.  I recommend using the same credit or debit card in case you misplace a receipt.  The insurance company will likely reimburse you for groceries, fast food, and other incidentals (again, know your policy and if there is a limit).

You need to know the value of all your items (furniture, electronics, etc.).  You will need to prove this as well.  If not, someone from the insurance company will go to Wayfair.com (nothing against them - we've even purchased one item from them) and they will low ball you!  For example, they seriously underestimated the value of our dining room table.  I was able to find an invoice.  Depending on the age of your item, your furniture company may have documentation in their system.

The remediation company may not be able to rebuild your home or you may not want them to do so.  Try to stay a few steps ahead and start lining up a reputable (be careful - now there may be people in your area that claim they can do quality work - they cannot) contractor to fix your home.  It's best to find someone that is personally recommended, has been rated well by the BBB or has good reviews on sites such as Google.

NEVER pay the contractors in full.  Agree on partial payments until the work is completed.  This will increase the odds that the work is completed.  Secure all valuables and sentimental items.  These strangers will be all over your home.  They may be subcontracting work at some point, so you have to be careful.

This is a painstakingly slow process.  My hope is that your home is restored to your satisfaction.  I may not have addressed all of your questions or concerns.  Please feel free to reach out.

Jesus T. Peña, M.Ed.

If your organization is interested in partnering for an event, please see the contact information below:

E-mail:  rgvdad2@gmail.com

Website:  fb.me/rgvdads
Twitter:  @rgvdads
Instagram:  rgvdads

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protest Property Taxes

Image:  Dave Lieber Steps for filing an Electronic Protest: 1.  Visit Hidalgo County Appraisal District website:   http://www.hidalgoad.org/ 2.  Click Protest Online (red button, center of screen). 3.  Enter username and password (or Create New User).  Click Login. 4.  Click Online Appeals (right of screen). 5.  Click here to E-File (green button - top right of screen). 6.  Click E-File (blue button - left of screen). 7.  Enter comments (I chose not to enter anything).  Click Submit. 8.  Enter Opinion of Value (I chose to enter last year's value - this may depend on a *Market Analysis if you have one from a realtor).  Enter Protest Reasons (I chose 1 and 2).  Click Submit. 9.  Click Done. 10.  Click Log Out. You should receive an e-mail stating that a protest and case number have been successfully created for your property. *Market Analysis:  Call Christian Chavez 956-474-3800.  He is a realtor with Deldi Ortegon Group that is well-informed and helpful.

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is an opportunity to show our children love and it does not have the break the bank! NEVER sleep on Dollar Tree!  I was able to find quality, yet inexpensive, glass votives for roses.  I had an existing rose bush that I had been caring for and that is where I picked and trimmed my roses for my daughters.   While at Dollar Tree, I picked up some boxes of chocolates that they liked!   Don't. Forget. The. Card.  Spend some time choosing a card that matches the recipient.  Write something meaningful in there and they will cherish it forever.  I did not splurge for the balloons, but Dollar Tree has those too! Roses | Chocolates | Cards The reality of societal pressures gives us an opportunity to display our love for our family on this holiday.  We love our family EVERYDAY and we show it! Jesus T. Pe ñ a, M.Ed. If you or your organization is interested in partnering with RGV DADS, please see the contact information below: E-mail:  rgvdad2@gmail.com Website:   fb.me/rg

The Beginning

Nine years ago, my wife and I were in the hospital expecting our first child.  We were both filled with a range of emotions (my wife more so since she was actually doing the whole childbirth thing).  It was determined that she was going to have a Cesarean section.  I was amazed with the number of medical professionals in the room with us as the surgery took place.  I saw my wife's doctor inhale some Oreo cookies before scrubbing in for the procedure!  Each person seemed to have a specific role in the process.  My wife and I had agreed that I would follow our newborn after delivery since she would need to stay behind, and I did just that. Later the three of us would be reunited and I had the pleasure of changing the first diaper as my wife was still recovering from the surgery.  I am thankful that she was there to talk me through the process because I was nervous (I would later become a professional; changing thousands of diapers). While in our hospital room, my wife received a